A quantum leap to success

The lag between the visuals and audio of a Zoom lecture may seem minor to the average student. But for Randy Tan, who is hearing-challenged, the split-second delay makes the difference between comprehension and confusion. 

Even though the Zoom classes of his earlier varsity years were tough, the Physics major’s bold discipline and determination helped him to do well in university. Along the way, he shot to TikTok fame, discovered his strengths in teaching, and re-ignited his love for the cosmos.   

Zooming past hearing difficulties

A high fever when he was 11 damaged Randy’s inner-ear nerves, leading to 50% hearing loss in both ears. Besides wearing an in-ear hearing aid, he relies on lip-reading to understand others. 

“When I attended Zoom lectures as a freshman, what I saw the lecturer mouth on screen would be different from what I heard through my headphones. The information wouldn’t ‘match’, and it was very disorienting,” Randy says.  

At in-person lab sessions in his first and second years, his classmates and lab tutor wore face masks due to safety measures. Their voices were softer, and he could not read their lips. “I had to ask my lab supervisor to speak louder and to repeat himself three or four times,” he recalls.  

Thankfully, Randy did not have to struggle on his own. NTU’s accessibility unit recruited his seniors and batchmates to provide him with weekly lecture and tutorial notes throughout his four years here.

“My note-takers were really helpful. They would transcribe class notes, assignment pointers and important deadlines for me. We became friends. If I wasn’t sure I was going down the right path for certain tutorials, I would check my progress against their answers to see if my thinking on the subject was correct,” Randy says. 

Randy as a relief physics tutor at Nanyang Junior College last year.

TikTok teaching star 

Besides studying full time, Randy worked while in university to cover his tuition, hall and living expenses due to his family’s financial difficulties. 

He began teaching physics and mathematics part time in his first year and even became a physics relief teacher at Nanyang Junior College. “Helping my students understand difficult concepts and later do well in school is meaningful to me,” he says.

“Juggling work and studies was tricky, but my love for physics and teaching kept me going. It all boils down to streamlining your time and activities. I’d write tuition notes for my students on the bus. And when I’m walking on the treadmill at the gym, I’d study and think about my NTU course problems on my iPad,” he shares.

In his fourth year, a friend roped him in to be a content creator for the School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences’ TikTok account, as part of the school’s ambassador programme. 

His creative and fun TikToks on physics formulas and study tips are among the channel’s most watched. A clip of Randy’s tips for studying quantum electrodynamics went viral this April, snagging over 7,000 likes, saves and comments.

“As a boy, I loved reading about relativity and space. Taking Dr Leek Meng Lee’s astrophysics module reminded me of my childhood. Dr Leek broke down complex topics into easier material, starting with basic algebra before advancing to differential geometry. I really enjoyed learning in his classes and it re-ignited my passion for astrophysics.”

Shooting for his PhD-ream 

Energised by helping students, Randy is now a full-time tutor. He teaches online group classes and gives one-on-one sessions at both junior college and university levels. 

While at NTU, he explored his interests in the field, even taking graduate-level classes. One class in particular, astrophysics and cosmology, illuminated a new path. 

“My NTU degree in physics has given me a great foundation for advanced studies in any other branch of physics. So I now want to pursue a PhD in astrophysics, ideally before I turn 30 in five years,” Randy adds. 

However, pursuing a PhD in the field will be expensive, as it can currently only be done overseas. “My friends even tried to talk me out of it as they think a higher degree in astrophysics might not be very lucrative,” he says.  

Undeterred by the hurdles ahead, Randy has laid out his journey. For the next two to three years, he’ll increase his active and passive income by doubling down on his current work and will start a tuition business with a friend in August. Next year, he’ll enrol in a part-time online master’s programme in astrophysics with The Open University to work towards his PhD dream. 

He adds: “Astrophysics research feels like the great frontier for me; a chance to venture into the unknown and embark on the adventure of a lifetime. I may have to jump through hoops to get there, but I want to live life on my terms. I believe I can make it work, as long as I bite the bullet and fully commit to my plan.” 

CLASS OF RESILIENCE

The COVID-19 outbreak stripped their early uni years of normalcy as Zoom classes took over and socialising became difficult. But in uncertainty and challenges come opportunities as these grads from the Class of 2024 show 

This story was published in the Jul-Aug 2024 issue of HEY!. To read it and other stories from this issue in print, click here.